Sunday, March 14, 2021

Perception isn’t just an Illusion

 By: Catherine Blanchard


Adolescence is a time of growth and self-discovery, but often this can be stifled by mental health problems and substance abuse. In a recent study, researchers found that adolescent’s perception of their socioeconomic ranking among their peers could predict their future mental health and substance use. In this longitudinal study, researchers observed how adolescents: viewed their own social status as compared to others, answered personal questions relating to mental health, and participated in different substance use (Russell & Odgers 2020). Overall, it was found that adolescent’s own perception of their state of life could predict these future problems.

References

Russell, M. A., & Odgers, C. L. (2020). Adolescents’ Subjective Social Status Predicts Day‐to‐Day Mental Health and Future Substance Use. Journal of Research on Adolescence (Wiley-Blackwell)30, 532–544. doi-org.ezproxy.franu.edu/10.1111/jora.12496

Image: https://www.talkspace.com/blog/5-ways-improve-body-image-confidence-mental-health/

5 comments:

  1. Catherine, this is such an interesting topic, and a very relevant one with social media where people sometimes can't help but compare themselves to their peers. Adults fall into this trap, so I imagine it's probably more intense for teens when social consequences are some of the bigger concerns during adolescence. This actually reminds me of a news story I read earlier this week about a school in Canada that is going to be banning students from wearing designer jackets to avoid making the students who can't afford these brands stand out or feel bad. Many people were upset by this, but the decision was made for the reasons you've highlighted in this article: so students can have peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, this blog was very relatable. Even though I always had everything I needed and most things I wanted growing up, I always felt awkward by my socioeconomic status. Most of the time, I felt guilty for having things whenever I knew others did not. An adolescent's socioeconomic status is completely out of their control, so I think it is important to never make someone feel ashamed or prideful with whatever situation they are in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine, thank you so much for bringing awareness to this topic. A lot of people need to read your blog and do more research on this topic. I relate to this topic too because growing up, I was made fun of for not wearing the latest and coolest things. My parents didn't believe in spending money on "fads" or buying expensive things when I could just wear normal stuff. But my peers were always like, "why can't your parents get you this or that?" I got tired of explaining to them that I wasn't interested in them and my parents didn't believe in wasting money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Catherine, this is an interesting topic because how we view ourselves sets the tone for every interaction outside of ourselves. It is important to have a positive self perception of ourselves to look forward to a brighter future. This issue does begin in early adolescence. Thank you for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the topic of this post is SO important because the way an adolescent feels about themselves is so vital to their future! Thank you for bringing awareness to this!

    ReplyDelete

Disadvantages of Technology and Digital Communication on Adolescent's Romantic Relationships

    by A. Bieri      Technology has advanced beyond what some of us understand and continues to have significant relevance in not only adole...